Friday, May 16, 2008

recession post recession......:(

Probably this is one of those incidents of my life that can never be forgotten, it is so well etched in my mind. I was not staying late in office and pink slips (a fashionable term used to describe being kicked out of your job - well I think so) were flying all over, the colleagues in office had this big scared look on their face, no one knew who would be on the chopping board next. It did not make much difference to me then coz living off peanuts for a salary did not matter to me, as much as others with families etc.
I was with Manish (boyfriend of 4 years - turned husband) at Lawrence and Mayo checking his eyesight when I get this call from my friend Shuchi, it was about 7 in the evening and we were at their Cannaught Place branch. She said " hello Chetna ho gaya", "kya ho gaya" I asked in the hope of hearing something else but she persisted and got angrier while telling me "wahi yaar - lay off", god did my world come down though I was not too depressed but the words did not make me any happy either, probably I just did not want that tag on me, it did not sink in initially though we as a team were preparing ourselves that it might befall us anytime, but actually happening to us was something none of us dreamed of nor wanted, probably it is more regal to leave an organization than being asked to leave it. Another thing hurting me was that it was my first organization and if you are planning to have a career (successful one, I am yet to come across anyone working to make an unsuccessful career) then being laid off from first job itself is not too delighting or so I thought. Anyways!! Manish came out post his eye check and I informed him or may be he guessed "the news" seeing my ever expressive (or should I say over expressive) face. Whatever he said to me after that made sense but it made me feel ok, the thing that was eating on my brains was how would I face my dad, of various varieties of parents, my set belongs to the category who first find fault with their progeny and then with the world outside, so I might be ok with the thing but my parents or rather my dad would not be ok, it wud hurt him to know that I was not good enough in office and so they threw me out, that is how I think all parents working for government offices think, and that is exactly what makes them appreciate their job, because it comes with a security unheard of in our private jobs.
Time seemed to fly extra fast and I reached home, I entered and informed my mom, "nikaal diya office se", I said, she was surprised and dad happened to come into the living room just then (I was having an exceptionally (un) lucky day it seems) and she immediately told dad about it, meaning I got no warm up period I was looking for with dad, loss 1, dad began with "isliye office mein achche se kaam karna chahiye", I tried to cry but tears were just not coming, (tears have their way of showing up at times you dont need them really) in my mind I was not responsible for the lay off and so was not feeling sad, probably shaken but also aware that I could have done nothing to avoid it.......in fact I slept well that night,,,,,,,and for dad I think after my successful stints at bigger organizations, trips to US, high paying job and rewards he does not even remember (though I do) that his youngest daughter was laid off in her first job, not until I remind him of that....and then I can expect to hear that "is office mein achche se kaam karo.....".......parents to parents hain.....hehehehe

No comments: